I met recently with an old buddy of mine from a large company known for highly engineered products. The company is near Charlotte, NC. Driving through their campus, I passed a deer munching grass next to a large lake that made me want to grab a tacklebox. I couldn’t believe the beauty and serenity of this location… people actually work here?!
At the end of our meeting, my buddy asked if I knew of any passionate engineers looking to take on a high profile, hands-on, innovative role with lots of design freedom. From the job description below, I think you’ll see that this is a special opportunity in a world that often beats the best and brightest engineers into submission and mediocrity.
This is the first time I’ve posted a job listing on my blog… and I certainly have no plans to become a headhunter, but please share this throughout your networks and lets see if we can set someone up with a primo opportunity. The company will pay relo to the Charlotte area (one of the best places to live in America) for the right applicant. Contact me directly at email@example.com and I’ll make an introduction.
Title: Advanced Development Team Leader
Education: BSME required, Masters preferred
Experience: 5 – 10 years of mechanical design experience on compressors, pumps, engines or general rotating equipment
The individual will be a member of the Advanced Development Group as a senior level engineer leading the technical development of air compressor design. The position requires the ability to perform a wide range of analytical and experimental design activities in the areas of structural mechanics, fluid dynamics, gears, bearings, lubrication and thermodynamics, as well as the ability to work in a design for manufacturing environment. Integral to this role is the ability to lead a small technical team as well as interact with other engineering groups and organizational functions (manufacturing, sourcing, etc) and therefore requires good communication and project management skills.
– Leader of developing advanced concepts and design capabilities for positive displacement compressors (major focus on rotary screw) and associated systems.
– Lead and coordinate activities of team members consisting of engineers and designers
– Technical leadership in compressor development projects. Integrate novel approaches, analysis and design along with manufacturing and supplier considerations to develop cost effective, performance efficient and reliable world class products
– Lead the development of engineering tools that increase the efficiency and accuracy of design decisions
– Lead the continuous development of best practices and design guides for rotary screw compressors and associated systems
– Assist Manager in preparing annual plans, identifying advanced engineering tools and techniques, capital expenditure requests, new product ideas, etc. and achieving department goals
– Manage, develop, and provide guidance to the engineering personnel, providing a positive influence, work experience, and career development opportunities.
The successful candidate should possess the following experience and/or attributes:
– Practical design experience with compressors, pumps, engines or general rotating equipment
– Strong capabilities in the modeling and/or testing in areas such as heat transfer, FEA, acoustics and vibration, material analysis and fluid dynamics
– Knowledge of gears, bearings, castings, oil systems and drive trains
– Familiarity with lab and test methods and instrumentation
– Prior work in a design for manufacturing environment, including working with suppliers and machine shops
– Familiarity with the principles of DFMA, DFMEA and DFSS
– Demonstrated skills in directing the activities of others
– Must be personal computer literate within a Windows environment and proficient with Microsoft Office suite of products.
Thumbnail image by: thinkpanama